- Japanese emperor tries to make amends for his father's war
For his last time, Japan's Emperor Akihito addressed a memorial service Wednesday marking the end of World War II.
Mari Yamaguchi. Fox News. Wed, 15 Aug 2018 07:22:45 GMT.
- 2 Greek soldiers released from Turkish jail return to Greece
Two Greek soldiers freed from a Turkish prison have returned to their home country on a government jet after their unexpected release eased tensions between the historical rivals
ABC News. Tue, 14 Aug 2018 21:43:33 -0400.
- Press Centre
For more information on News Alerts, click the link above, which will take you to the Press Centre web site.
European Commission. Tue, 14 Aug 2018 09:07:45 GMT.
- National Energy Guarantee: the next steps
WHAT'S NEXT FOR THE NATIONAL ENERGY GUARANTEE* The coalition partyroom has endorsed the government's National Energy Guarantee.* Federal and state ...
Daily Mail. Tue, 14 Aug 2018 04:28:48 +0100.
- WWE Raw Results: News And Notes After Dean Ambrose Returns
WWE Raw news, notes and business analysis on August 13, 2018 from Greensboro, N.C. featuring the return of Dean Ambrose.
By Alfred Konuwa, Contributor. Forbes. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 23:09:00 -0400.
- Cuba begins public debate on modernizing Cold War-era constitution
Cuba on Monday began a rare public discussion to overhaul its Cold War-era constitution, a process the government is calling participatory democracy at its best and opponents are branding a fraud. ...
Voice of America. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 23:00:38 -0400.
- UPDATE 3-Trump signs defense policy bill with watered-down China measures
U.S. President Donald Trump signed a $716 billion defense policy bill on Monday that authorizes military spending and includes watered-down controls on U.S. government contracts with China's ZTE Corp and Huawei Technologies Co Ltd.
Reuters. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 22:46:40 -0400.
- Maduro: Gas prices to spike in Venezuela to fight smugglers
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro says some of the world's cheapest gasoline that his country's drivers enjoy will soon be sold at world market prices to combat rampant smuggling. ...
Washington Times. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 22:35:02 -0400.
- Inside the Beltway: Massive global poll says world 'on the wrong track'
Feeling edgy, disconcerted, peevish? You are not alone. A massive new Ipsos poll reveals that the developed nations of the world share one concern in particular. ...
Jennifer Harper. Washington Times. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 22:29:11 -0400.
- Social housing proposals 'to give tenants greater power'
The government outlines proposals to help social housing tenants hold their landlords to account.
BBC News. Tue, 14 Aug 2018 02:23:05 GMT.
- As Canada faces rising gun violence, tighter laws are a tough sell
TORONTO (Reuters) - Rising violence in Canada has prompted calls for the federal government to tighten gun laws but tougher regulations could cause a political backlash in a country where 2 million people are licensed to own a firearm.
Straits Times. Tue, 14 Aug 2018 09:35:52 +0800.
- Facebook, Google, WhatsApp in the firing line as Australia reveals encryption laws - CNET
The new laws would require tech giants to assist law enforcement in accessing encrypted communications. But the government insists it's not a backdoor.
Claire Reilly. CNET. Tue, 14 Aug 2018 01:33:47 +0000.
- The National
Welcome to The National, the flagship nightly newscast of CBC News
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 21:00:00 EDT.
- What Happens to #MeToo When a Feminist Is the Accused?
The case seems like a familiar story turned on its head: Avital Ronell, a world-renowned female professor of German and Comparative Literature at New York University, was found responsible for sexually harassing a male former ...
New Zealand Herald. Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:49:19 +1200.
- UK unwilling to join global efforts to assist Syria - Russian embassy
According to the Russian embassy, "Syrian refugees continue to return to their homeland"
Tass. Tue, 14 Aug 2018 03:18:17 +0300.
- Prosecutors Conclude Arguments Against Paul Manafort In Bank And Tax Fraud Trial
The government called more than two dozen witnesses in its bid to prove Manafort had allegedly violated tax and banking laws. His defense team will have a chance to call witnesses next.
Miles Parks. NPR. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:59:57 -0400.
- Syria vows to help refugees return, wants sanctions lifted
Syrian government officials vowed Monday to ensure the safe return of refugees and urged Western countries to encourage the process by lifting sanctions. ...
Voice of America. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:19:06 -0400.
- Bill O'Reilly to Newsmax TV: Omarosa Recordings 'a Betrayal'
Bill O'Reilly told Newsmax TV's "The Wayne Allyn Root Show" on Monday night no one should be allowed to record conversations in the White House, especially in the highly secure Situation Room.
Newsmax. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:13:18 EDT.
- Charging ahead
From battery-powered trucks to Formula E racing cars, electric vehicles are going mainstream around the world.
BBC News. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 23:06:07 GMT.
- New government plans would give social housing tenants right to buy 1 per cent of home each year
League tables for landlords also being considered as ministers promise 'new deal' for social housing after Grenfell Tower disaster
Benjamin Kentish. The Independent. Mon, 13 Aug 2018 22:39:20 +0000.