- Penguins pick up bugs from tourists according to new research
Droppings were collected from more than 600 birds between 2008 and 2011 at locations across the Antarctic Ocean. Scientists detected human pathogens which cause disease in the faeces.
Daily Mail. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:14:35 GMT.
- Rescued yachtswoman would do it again 'in a heartbeat'
The British yachtswoman who was stranded after her boat capsized in the Antarctic Ocean has said would do it again "in a heartbeat".
Sky News. Fri, 14 Dec 2018 21:50:00 +0000.
- Antarctic climate change: Scientists visit the world's most remote island
Studying ice cores on a small island in the South Atlantic will help us understand why Antarctica's glaciers are melting.
BBC News. Fri, 14 Dec 2018 00:42:47 GMT.
- NASA Looks to Penguin Poop for Answers on Antarctica's Ecosystem
NASA can tell what penguins are eating from space by looking at the color of the birds' poop
Yahoo. Thu, 13 Dec 2018 14:30:13 -0500.
- Two Workers Die at American Research Base in Antarctica
Officials said two fire technicians died in an accident at a generator building near McMurdo Station, the main United States base on the continent.
Henry Fountain. New York Times. Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:17:20 GMT.
- Snow over Antarctica buffered sea level rise during last century
An increase in snowfall accumulation over Antarctica during the 20th century mitigated sea level rise by 0.4 inches. However, Antarctica's additional ice mass gained from snowfall makes up for just about a third of its current ice loss.
Science Daily. Thu, 13 Dec 2018 14:15:27 EST.
- Two workers at remote US Antarctic research base die after smoke spotted in building
Investigation launched into tragedy discovered by helicopter pilot
Jane Dalton. The Independent. Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:04:00 +0000.
- Two Technicians Die at US Research Station in Antarctica
Two technicians performing maintenance at a U.S. research station in Antarctica died on Wednesday while working on a building that houses a generator for a nearby radio transmitter, the National Science Foundation (NSF) said. ...
Voice of America. Wed, 12 Dec 2018 22:03:20 -0500.
- NASA Space Lasers Creating Most Detailed Map Ever of Antarctica's Ice
It's measuring the highs and lows of our planet.
Live Science. Wed, 12 Dec 2018 12:26:00 EST.
- East Antarctica glaciers showing signs of melting, Nasa says
WASHINGTON - Scientists at Nasa have detected the first signs that a series of glaciers in East Antarctica are shrinking, suggesting significant melting over the past decade and changes within the ocean, the US agency said.
Straits Times. Wed, 12 Dec 2018 17:02:22 +0800.