- Today in History, 21/10
Highlights in history on this date:1872 - Adelaide becomes the first city in Australia to be connected to Europe by telegraph with the completion of ...
Daily Mail. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 14:08:07 +0100.
- Rome Besieged By EU And ECB; Government At War Within
The European Union has asked Italy's government to rethink their budget proposals. Rome has signalled no retreat. ...
By Stephen Pope, Contributor. Forbes. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 08:47:00 -0400.
- Thousands turn out for anti-Brexit protest in London
LONDON (AP) - Thousands of protesters were gathering in central London on Saturday to call for a second referendum on Britain's exit from the European Union. ...
Washington Times. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 06:56:52 -0400.
- REFILE-UPDATE 1-Google to charge Android partners up to $40 per device for apps -source
Alphabet Inc's Google will charge hardware firms up to $40 per device to use its apps under a new licensing system to replace one that the European Union this year deemed anti-competitive, a person familiar with the matter said on Friday.
Reuters. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 04:46:41 -0400.
- Italy brushes off downgrade as it plans EU budget response
ROME (AP) - Italy's deputy premier on Saturday brushed off a ratings downgrade and vowed to forge ahead with the government's rule-busting budget as Italy prepared to respond to European Union concerns about its high deficit targets. ...
Washington Times. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 04:24:27 -0400.
- BepiColombo mission for Mercury exploration launched from Courou
The mission will seek "to provide the best understanding to date of the Solar System's innermost planet," the European Space Agency said
Tass. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 07:18:00 +0300.
- Top EU Court Blocks Polish Supreme Court Law Forcing Judges To Retire
Since going into effect in July, nearly a third of Poland's judges have been ousted. Friday's ruling orders officials to reinstate justices and raise the mandatory retirement age from 65 back to 70.
Vanessa Romo. NPR. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 00:01:00 -0400.
- Blast-off for BepiColombo on mission to Mercury
Europe and Japan celebrate the successful launch of a quest to visit the closest planet to the Sun.
BBC News. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 01:57:11 GMT.
- European Court orders Poland to suspend clear-out of its judges
The European Court of Justice yesterday ordered the Polish government to suspend a controversial overhaul of the country's supreme court in a move that puts further pressure on the strained ties between Brussels and Warsaw.
Irish Independent. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 02:30:00 +0100.
- Macedonian Name Change Moves Ahead After Crucial Vote In Parliament
Macedonia's parliament has taken a critical step toward renaming the country North Macedonia, a move that would end a decades-long dispute with Greece and pave the way for Skopje to join NATO and the European Union.
Radio Liberty. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 01:27:06 +0000.
- Much for Asean, EU to share and learn from each other on current challenges: PM Lee
BRUSSELS - As two of the world's most successful regional organisations, Asean and the EU are natural partners, especially in the light of protectionist sentiments that threaten the rules-based global order.
Straits Times. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 09:00:00 +0800.
- Brexit EU summit: The week the talks got stuck in spinach
This was to be the EU summit when a deal came into view. But that was not how it turned out.
BBC News. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 23:43:49 GMT.
- C.E.O.s May Avoid Riyadh Conference but Not Saudi Money
Even though American and European executives are staying away, companies are unlikely to sever ties or avert future deals after the killing of Jamal Khashoggi.
Liz Alderman and Michael J. De La Merced. New York Times. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 22:46:22 GMT.
- Sergio Garcia scores highlight-reel goal in European Tour player-caddie soccer match
Sergio Garcia scores highlight-reel goal in European Tour player-caddie soccer match before Andalucia Valderrama Masters.
Alex Myers. Golf Digest. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 20:24:17 +0000.
- Watch two spacecraft launch to one of the most mysterious planets - CNET
Space agencies from Europe and Japan are teaming up for the BepiColombo mission that'll send two orbiters to Mercury, one of the solar system's least explored worlds.
Eric Mack. CNET. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:47:08 +0000.
- Italy's budget battle with Brussels: What you need to know
The European Commission has formally warned Italy that its budget plans for 2019 are a serious concern, launching a high-stakes process that could see Rome hit with unprecedented sanctions for breaking commitments to Brussels on its budget.
The Local. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 18:56:21 +0200.
- Matteo Salvini: Italy's far-right leader hints at run for European Commission president
'It is nice that they see me as a point of reference for the people's defence, even outside Italy,' the politician says
Toyin Owoseje. The Independent. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 15:48:00 +0000.
- Orbiters launched on 7-year journey to sun-baked Mercury
Twin probes destined for Mercury were launched on Friday as a part of a joint mission by European and Japanese space agencies.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 11:14:49 EDT.
- VW, Renault winners as EU set to favor Wi-Fi over 5G
The EU is expected to approve and set rules for the use of Wi-Fi in cars, giving VW and Renault -- who have pursued this technology -- the edge over Daimler and others who invested in rival 5G networks.
AutoNews.com. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 08:46:22 EST. Subscription required.
- Poland: Local races offer gauge of ruling party's support
Local elections on Sunday are expected to measure popular support for Poland's conservative ruling party, whose policies have produced street protests and repeated clashes with European Union leaders.
Monika Scislowska. Fox News. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 13:04:46 GMT.