- Yelp, Consumer Watchdog lose Google intervention bid
Search company Yelp and lobby group Consumer Watchdog lost their joint bid to intervene in Google's challenge of a 2.4 billion euro ($2.7 billion) EU antitrust fine after a court said they had no direct interest in the case.
Reuters. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 17:03:23 -0500.
- Second Brexit referendum is impossible, claim ministers
While Parliament could revoke Article 50 outright following a European Court judgement last week it appears highly unlikely MPs would agree. Pictured is Attorney General Geoffrey Cox.
Daily Mail. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:25:31 +0000.
- Belgian prime minister Charles Michel resigns after losing no confidence vote
Resignation follows violent right-wing protests in Brussels over signing of UN migration pact
Harry Cockburn. The Independent. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 19:19:00 +0000.
- Italy seeks strong relations with Russia in spite of political crises, says diplomat
The deputy Foreign Minister expressed confidence that it's necessary to maintain political ties despite sanctions as "Europe should be interested in good relations with Russia for different reasons"
Tass. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 22:00:01 +0300.
- Two Scandinavian women tourists found dead in Morocco
The bodies of two Scandinavian women are found in the Atlas mountains with cuts to their necks.
BBC News. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 16:27:52 GMT.
- 19th-Century French Oil Painting Emerges After 130 Years, Sells Immediately Amid Genre's Hot Demand
The gallery, which specializes in pristine 19th and early 20th-century European paintings, is experiencing high demand for master works that haven't been seen for a century or longer. ...
By Natasha Gural, Contributor. Forbes. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 11:01:00 -0500.
- Takeaway containers -- the environmental cost of packing our favorite fast-foods
Scientists say more should be done to tackle the growing environmental impact of takeaway food containers. A new study estimates there are 2025 million takeaway containers per year being used in the European Union (EU) alone. ...
Science Daily. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 10:04:10 EST.
- Rory McIlroy reverses course, to keep European Tour membership after all in 2019
Keith Pelley's emergency flight to Belfast to convince Rory McIlroy to stay on the European Tour has apparently worked.
Joel Beall. Golf Digest. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 14:43:50 +0000.
- South Africa's Chicken Licken colonialism of Europe advert banned
The advertising authority says a commercial showing an African conquering Europe is offensive.
BBC News. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:50:19 GMT.
- Lithuania to buy floating liquefied gas terminal
VILNIUS, Lithuania (AP) - Lithuanian lawmakers have voted to buy a floating liquefied natural gas terminal that has been providing gas to the Baltic nation as it tries to reduce its reliance on Russian energy. ...
Washington Times. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 07:33:36 -0500.
- Morocco arrests suspect after brutal murder of Danish, Norwegian women
Moroccan authorities on Tuesday arrested a suspect following the murder of two Scandinavian tourists in the High Atlas mountains, the interior ministry said.
The Local. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:16:42 +0100.
- U.K. cabinet to consider 'no-deal' Brexit preparations
Cabinet is expected to discuss ramping up preparations for the U.K.'s departure from the European Union without a deal.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Tue, 18 Dec 2018 04:48:47 EST.
- EU Agrees to Deal to Cut Greenhouse Emissions from Cars
The European Union agreed Monday to a goal of cutting carbon emissions from cars by 37.5 percent in a decade, finally settling differences between vehicle-producing countries and environmentally-conscious lawmakers. ...
Voice of America. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:21:59 -0500.
- EU to cut new car emissions by 37.5 percent by 2030
EU member countries and the European Parliament struck the ambitious deal late Monday that Brussels said would help the bloc meet its commitments under the Paris climate accord. ...
Yahoo. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:06:24 -0500.
- Catalan Hunger Strikers Send Message to European Leaders
Four jailed Catalan separatist leaders currently on hunger strike sent letters to more than 40 European heads on Monday to protest what they see as mistreatment by the Spanish courts. ...
Voice of America. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:27:18 -0500.
- Merck to Acquire Europe's Antelliq Group for $2.4 Billion
Merck (MRK) secures an acquisition deal to purchase French animal health company Antelliq Group for a consideration of around $2.4 billion.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 20:22:00 GMT.
- Front Burner: A Rich Stock for the Feast
European green crabs, which have invaded American waters, form the backbone of this seafood stock.
Florence Fabricant. New York Times. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:59:39 GMT.
- EU, Kosovo Hold Tense Meeting In Brussels
A meeting between senior Kosovar and EU officials has ended in acrimony over tariffs imposed by Pristina on imports from Serbia and the bloc's delays to enact visa-free travel for Kosovars.
Radio Liberty. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:00:19 +0000.
- UK PM Theresa May says Brexit vote to be held week of Jan 14
Theresa May said on Monday she would bring her Brexit deal back to parliament for a mid-January vote, pledging to get assurances from the European Union before then to break a deadlock over Britain's fraught efforts to quit the bloc.
France 24. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:01:29 GMT.
- Mexico and New York Are Top Holiday Destinations for U.S. Air Travelers
ARC Data Also Shows Travel Increased to Many European Destinations.
Travel Industry Wire. Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:35:32 EST.