- Today in History, 21/10
Highlights in history on this date:1872 - Adelaide becomes the first city in Australia to be connected to Europe by telegraph with the completion of ...
Daily Mail. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 14:08:07 +0100.
- Australia government stripped of majority after by-election rout
The Australian government will lose its one-seat majority in parliament with more than half the votes counted in a by-election late on Saturday, creating a potential political crisis for Prime Minister Scott Morrison.
Reuters. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 09:02:05 -0400.
- Australia's ruling coalition forced into minority government
Australia's ruling coalition was forced into minority government on Saturday after a massive swing against its senior partner, the Liberal Party, in a by-election for the seat of the prime minister the party itself had dismissed.
Trevor Marshallsea. Fox News. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:21:26 GMT.
- Australia government suffers Wentworth by-election defeat
The ruling coalition's one-seat majority evaporates after it loses a by-election to an independent.
BBC News. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 10:51:23 GMT.
- Prince Harry opens memorial as royal tour continues
SYDNEY (AP) - Prince Harry paid tribute to Australian service members by opening a new wing of a war memorial on Saturday before opening the Invictus Games as he and wife Meghan continued their visit to Australia and the South Pacific. ...
Trevor Marshallsea. Washington Times. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 05:11:40 -0400.
- As royals visit Australia, calls for a republic grow
Australia's prime minister has said he has no plans to hold a referendum on the country becoming a republic, and that he still supports the country's links with the British monarchy.
Sky News. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 06:33:00 +0100.
- WATCH: World View: Missing journalist in Turkey, royals tour Australia
A journalist never left Turkey's Saudi Arabian consulate after he entered, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex tour Australia the week of their baby news and more.
ABC News. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 23:22:28 -0400.
- Australia government braced for Wentworth by-election defeat
The ruling coalition's one-seat majority could evaporate if it loses the Wentworth by-election.
BBC News. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 03:20:41 GMT.
- Fashion festival showcase aims to redesign perception of Islamic fashion
Students from Indonesia and Australia collaborate on a unique collection of modest garments they hope will change the industry's perception of Islamic fashion.
Claire Campbell. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 08:42:02 +1100.
- Crucial Sydney by-election may spell trouble for Aussie PM
Mr Alex Turnbull, son of Australia's former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, has made an unusual intervention in a crucial by-election to be held today.
Straits Times. Sat, 20 Oct 2018 05:00:00 +0800.
- Man admits multiple rapes and month-long kidnap of UK backpacker in Australia
Marcus Allyn Keith Martin awaits sentencing for 'horrific and terrifying' assaults
Ellie Cullen. The Independent. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 13:16:43 +0000.
- Blood Test May Let Some Cancer Patients Skip Chemo
A blood test following cancer surgery may soon be able to tell patients if they can skip chemo and avoid its side effects, joint U.S.-Australian research revealed on Wednesday.
Newsmax. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 08:36:33 EDT.
- Owner of Danish communications giant at forefront of European tax scandal
The leadership of Australian bank MacQuarie, the majority shareholder in Danish telecommunications company TDC, personally approved an avoidance scheme that deprived European countries of billions of euros in tax income.
The Local. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:43:07 +0200.
- Australia Dispatch: Preserving a Culture by Protecting the Environment
The Dhimurru Rangers are one of more than 100 Indigenous groups spread across Australia who are removing thousands of pounds of plastic garbage from the beaches.
Photographs and Text By David Maurice Smith. New York Times. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 07:00:06 GMT.
- An Australian Woman Has Been Charged After Faking Cancer to Raise Money
She allegedly raised tens of thousands of dollars for a fraudulent GoFundMe page
Yahoo. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 01:40:01 -0400.