- Zebras with spots and gold fur are observed in Africa that are genetic mutations from inbreeding
Scientists did a DNA analysis of 140 African zebras and found those with odd patters are a result of inbreeding. These animals are unable to mate with other herds due to habitat fragmentation.
Daily Mail. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 23:47:43 +0000.
- Hancock: South African variant could reduce vaccine efficacy by half
The coronavirus variant first identified in South Africa could reduce the efficacy of vaccines by half, the health secretary has said.
Sky News. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 20:03:00 +0000.
- Lloyd Austin Sworn In As First Black Defense Secretary In U.S. History
Austin said it was "an honor and a privilege" to serve as Secretary of Defense, adding he was "especially proud to be the first African American to hold the position."
By Tommy Beer, Forbes Staff. Forbes. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 14:33:02 -0500.
- Covid: How worrying are the UK, South Africa, and Brazil coronavirus variants?
There is some evidence that the new UK variant may be more deadly, says PM Boris Johnson.
BBC News. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 17:17:20 GMT.
- Central African Republic declares emergency as rebels surround Bangui
Central African Republic, two-thirds controlled by rebels, is "at grave risk" the UN envoy says.
BBC News. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 15:40:42 GMT.
- Why Carey would rather be on the bench than playing
Though Tim Paine is expected to retain his place behind the stumps and lead the side in South Africa, the events of the past three weeks have underlined the need for a succession plan in the leadership and in the wicketkeeping berth.
Andrew Wu. Sydney Morning Herald. Sat, 23 Jan 2021 00:01:00 +1100.
- South Africa to pay 2.5 times more than EU for COVID vaccine
Oxford-AstraZeneca quotes Pretoria $5.25 for each jab, while EU nations pay $2.16 for the same vaccine.
Al Jazeera. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 09:38:48 +0000.
- What Internet Censorship Looks Like
In East Africa, too much Facebook has been awful. So has too little Facebook.
Shira Ovide. New York Times. Thu, 21 Jan 2021 21:37:39 +0000.
- Strange colon discovery explains racial disparities in colorectal cancer
The colons of African-Americans and people of European descent age differently, new research reveals, helping explain racial disparities in colorectal cancer.
Science Daily. Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:16:58 EST.
- South African coronavirus variant may lower vaccine efficacy, 'escapes' plasma therapy: scientists
Concerning preliminary findings published Wednesday add to growing evidence that a coronavirus variant first identified in South Africa escapes the neutralization power by antibodies in convalescent plasma.
Kayla Rivas. Fox News. Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:56:51 GMT.
- Archaeologists Unearth Egyptian Queen's Tomb, 13-Foot 'Book of the Dead' Scroll
The team also discovered dozens of sarcophagi, wooden masks and ancient board games
Smithsonian. Thu, 21 Jan 2021 12:30:00 +0000.
- Biden lifts entry ban for citizens from several Muslim countries
Restrictions are lifted for citizens of Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen
Tass. Thu, 21 Jan 2021 02:01:38 +0300.
- VP Kamala Harris wears African-American designers for Inauguration Day
While Joe Biden dressed in a classic suit from Ralph Lauren, Kamala Harris opted to sport designs from two Black designers.
Ktrk. ABC News. Wed, 20 Jan 2021 18:33:40 +0000.
- Chevron's (CVX) Pipeline Venture to Ship Israel's Gas to Egypt
Chevron (CVX) along with other energy players aims to pump nearly $235 million into pipelines to dispatch Israel's natural gas to Egypt.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Wed, 20 Jan 2021 16:53:00 GMT.
- South Africa's trailblazing Black food writer dies of virus
JOHANNESBURG (AP) - South Africa's trailblazing Black food writer Dorah Sitole's latest cookbook was widely hailed in December as a moving chronicle of her journey from humble township cook to famous, well-traveled author. ...
Mogomotsi Magome. Washington Times. Tue, 19 Jan 2021 03:37:56 -0500.
- Egypt unveils 3000-year old coffins in latest archaeological discovery
- Covid variants could make second year of virus tougher, warns WHO
New variants found in UK, South Africa and Brazil
Joe Middleton. The Independent. Wed, 13 Jan 2021 22:52:56 GMT.
- Brawl at Cypriot overcrowded migrant camp injures 25
More than two dozen migrants were injured during a large brawl between nationals from Syria and several African countries at an overcrowded migrant reception camp outside of Cyprus' capital Nicosia, an official said Tuesday.
Ekathimerini. Tue, 12 Jan 2021 18:06:51 GMT.
- Covid 19 coronavirus: New mutant coronavirus strain discovered in Japan
The Japanese Health Ministry has found a coronavirus variant in people arriving from Brazil that's different from the ones in Britain and South Africa.The variant was found in airport tests on a man in his 40s, a woman in her ...
New Zealand Herald. Mon, 11 Jan 2021 13:35:08 +1200.
- Somali immigrants closer to owning 30-acre farm in Lewiston
LEWISTON, Maine (AP) - A group of African immigrants that leased 30 acres of land to operate a cooperative farm in Lewiston is one step closer to owning the land. ...
Washington Times. Sun, 03 Jan 2021 15:17:42 -0500.