- Covid UK: Fresh outbreak of South African Covid variant hits south London
Officials said 44 cases of the South African variant have been found predominantly in Wandsworth and Lambeth, which have a combined population of 655,695 according to 2019 figures.
Daily Mail. Tue, 13 Apr 2021 00:46:27 +0100.
- Covid: Surge testing in Wandsworth and Lambeth after South African variant cluster found
NHS Test and Trace says 44 cases confirmed in Wandsworth and 30 probable is 'significant' number.
BBC News. Mon, 12 Apr 2021 20:53:26 GMT.
- 'Biggest surge testing operation to date' as dozens of South African variant cases found in London
The largest surge testing operation so far is taking place in areas of south London after more than 70 confirmed or probable cases of the South African variant of COVID-19 were detected.
Sky News. Mon, 12 Apr 2021 21:34:00 +0100.
- Russia records 128 British COVID-19 strains and 16 South African ones
The infection is primarily imported from Turkey and Tanzania, according to the chief sanitary physician
Tass. Mon, 12 Apr 2021 20:52:34 +0300.
- Confederation Cup: Raja beat Pyramids to advance to quarter-finals
Morocco's Raja Casablanca beat Egypt's Pyramids 3-0 to become the first qualifiers for the Confederation Cup quarter-finals.
BBC News. Mon, 12 Apr 2021 14:55:27 GMT.
- Egyptian prosecutors find gross negligence behind train crash
Railway employees were blamed for the crash that killed 18 people in the governorate of Sohag.
Al Jazeera. Mon, 12 Apr 2021 09:39:49 +0000.
- County Plans to Return California Beachfront Taken From Black Family in 1920s
The property would be returned to descendants of an Black couple who built a seaside resort for African Americans but suffered racist harassment and were stripped of the property by local city leaders.
Voice of America. Sun, 11 Apr 2021 19:50:33 -0400.
- Israel COVID-19 study finds South Africa variant able to 'break through' Pfizer vaccine
A new study from Israel indicates the South Africa variant of the coronavirus can "break through" the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine to some degree.
Peter Aitken. Fox News. Sun, 11 Apr 2021 16:18:04 GMT.
- Plan would return prime beachfront property to descendants of original Black owners
The property originally belonged to a Black couple who built a seaside resort for African Americans but suffered racist harassment and were stripped of it by local city leaders.
Ap. ABC News. Sat, 10 Apr 2021 15:05:20 +0000.
- South African Rapper A-REECE Pairs Success With Personal Tragedy
His mixtape, 'Today's Tragedy, Tomorrow's Memory,' is an exercise in reflection and introspection.
By Rianna Turner, Contributor. Forbes. Sat, 10 Apr 2021 08:00:00 -0400.
- Archaeologists in Egypt Discover 3,000-Year-Old 'Lost Golden City'
Hailed as one of the country's most significant finds in a century, the site dates to a time of political, religious and artistic change
Smithsonian. Fri, 09 Apr 2021 19:52:31 +0000.
- As Locusts Swarmed East Africa, This Tech Helped Squash Them
A hastily formed crowdsourcing operation to contain the insects in Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia could help manage climate-related disasters everywhere.
Rachel Nuwer. New York Times. Fri, 09 Apr 2021 09:05:26 +0000.
- Archaeologists unearth 'ancient Egyptian Pompeii' near Luxor
- African Union drops plans to buy Covid-19 vaccines from the Serum Institute of India
The AU is exploring purchasing jabs from US firm Johnson & Johnson
Joe Middleton. The Independent. Thu, 08 Apr 2021 12:12:19 GMT.
- Poor rains bring optimism African locust outbreak will fade
BARAKA, Kenya (AP) - In a convoy of pickup trucks fitted with spray guns, soldiers zoom through Baraka' s hills leaving a trail of dust and bemused villagers in its wake. ...
Tom Odula. Washington Times. Thu, 08 Apr 2021 04:17:34 -0400.
- Democratic US Congressman Alcee Hastings of Florida Dies at 84
Hastings, who became the first African American elected to Congress in Florida since the post-Civil War period, was serving his fifteenth term.
Voice of America. Tue, 06 Apr 2021 12:45:18 -0400.
- Mastercard (MA) to Invest $100 Million in Airtel Africa
Mastercard (MA) will spend $100 million for a 3.75% interest in AMC BV. The Group and Mastercard expand commercial pacts and ink a new commercial deal to cement their partnerships across regions.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Mon, 05 Apr 2021 16:51:00 GMT.
- Egypt's first female ship's captain says she was blamed for Suez Canal blockage
Egypt's first female ship captain says she was subject to a fake news campaign blaming her for grounding the Ever Given container ship in the Suez Canal, despite at the time working on a ship that was hundreds of miles ...
New Zealand Herald. Mon, 05 Apr 2021 07:52:27 +1200.
- The Latest: Britain adds 4 more countries to travel ban list
LONDON - The British government is adding four more countries - Bangladesh, Kenya, Pakistan and the Philippines - to its travel ban list amid concerns over new variants of the coronavirus. ...
The Associated Press. Washington Times. Fri, 02 Apr 2021 05:54:43 -0400.
- UN Experts Describe Reports Of Major Abuses By Russian Mercenaries In Central Africa
UN experts have voiced concern over reports of "grave human rights abuses" by Russian mercenaries in the Central African Republic, where they have been backing the government's military in the country's ongoing civil war.
Radio Liberty. Wed, 31 Mar 2021 16:00:09 +0000.