- Covid 19: Australia records sixth Omicron case after woman visited NSW Central Coast venues while infectious
Australia has confirmed its sixth Omicron case, after a woman in her 30s tested positive after arriving from South Africa on Saturday.Alarmingly, it is understood the woman visited several venues on the NSW Central Coast while ...
New Zealand Herald. Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:56:03 +1200.
- Why Omicron Calls For Global Leaders To Participate In Inclusivity
While Americans were cozily celebrating over turkey, South Africa was unceremoniously quit cold turkey by the world.
By Soulaima Gourani, Contributor. Forbes. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:18:18 -0500.
- In Latest Assault on Dissent, Egypt Convicts a Human Rights Activist
Hossam Bahgat avoided a prison term, receiving a relatively modest fine, in a verdict that appeared designed to intimidate dissidents without risking international opprobrium.
Mona El-naggar. New York Times. Tue, 30 Nov 2021 01:24:26 +0000.
- BioNTech and Johnson & Johnson announce they will be working on Omicron specific COVID-19 vaccine
Both BioNTech and J&J announced Monday morning they are working on vaccines specific to fighting the Omicron variant, which was discovered last week in South Africa.
Daily Mail. Tue, 30 Nov 2021 00:23:43 GMT.
- Why broken African phones are shipped to Europe
A lack of recycling facilities in Africa has spurred one Dutch company to import broken phones.
BBC News. Tue, 30 Nov 2021 00:22:37 GMT.
- Biden reignites debate over travel bans
The Biden administration is facing heavy criticism for its decision to impose a travel ban on South Africa and several nearby countries in the wake of the omicron variant, reigniting a debate from some of the earliest ...
Nathaniel Weixel. The Hill. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 23:52:16 +0000.
- Omicron undetected in US so far, tests Biden's $2.3 billion plan to track Covid-19 variants
Frequent sequencing of Covid-19 samples helped scientists in South Africa quickly identify Omicron.
Straits Times. Tue, 30 Nov 2021 06:30:58 +0800.
- Chicago pays tribute to fashion designer Virgil Abloh after losing private battle with cancer
Abloh -- who was originally from Rockford, Illinois but grew up in Chicago -- was a trailblazer, becoming the first African-American to head a major European fashion house.
Wls. ABC News. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 20:35:20 +0000.
- More than 20 killed in attack on DR Congo displaced persons camp
At least 22 people were killed in an attack on a camp for internally displaced people in northeastern DR Congo.
Al Jazeera. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:33:50 +0000.
- Decisions on anti-Omicron-strain restrictions depend on government center, Kremlin says
On November 26, the WHO marked the coronavirus strain B.1.1.529, discovered in southern Africa, with the Greek letter omicron
Tass. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 20:49:20 +0300.
- Covid Omicron: No need to panic, South Africa minister says
Joe Phaahla says South Africa is experienced in dealing with Covid variants, despite a surge in cases.
BBC News. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 17:14:53 GMT.
- Lee Elder, the first Black man to play at the Masters, dead at 87
Lee Elder, the first African American golfer to compete in the Masters, died Sunday. He was 87.
Ryan Gaydos. Fox News. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:58:01 GMT.
- Munster rugby players and staff allowed to fly home from South Africa
Sports Minister Jack Chambers said there are 48 players and staff involved in the Munster camp currently in South Africa.
Dominic Mcgrath. The Independent. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:00:13 GMT.
- Could Omicron be our way out?
The early indications from South Africa are Omicron could be the virus variant epidemiologists have been hoping for.
Chip Le Grand. Sydney Morning Herald. Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:03:24 +1100.
- Cardiff Rugby team unable to leave South Africa after suspected Omicron COVID case
Cardiff Rugby are unable to leave South Africa following two positive COVID cases - one of which is thought to be the new Omicron variant.
Sky News. Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:35:00 +0000.
- Biden orders travel ban on South Africa, other countries due to variant
The Biden administration said Friday it is restricting travel from South Africa and seven other countries because of fears about a new coronavirus variant with mutations that could make it more powerful against humans. ...
Tom Howell Jr.. Washington Times. Fri, 26 Nov 2021 14:00:00 -0500.
- Italy Imposes Entry Ban on Eight Southern African States
Italy imposed an entry ban Friday on people who have visited any one of eight southern African states in the last 14 days, because of the spread of a new COVID-19 variant there. ...
Voice of America. Fri, 26 Nov 2021 11:01:51 -0500.
- Ciena (CIEN) Wins Network Deployment Deals From Multiple Telcos
Ciena (CIEN) teams up with CityFibre and Telecom Egypt to augment their respective network capacities on the back of advanced optical technology.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Fri, 26 Nov 2021 12:59:00 GMT.
- Stocks sink on new COVID variant; Dow Jones loses 900 points
NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks sank Friday, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average briefly falling more than 1,000 points, as a new coronavirus variant first detected in South Africa appeared to be spreading across the globe. ...
Ken Sweet, Paul Wiseman. Washington Times. Fri, 26 Nov 2021 00:08:31 -0500.
- Two Chinese Nationals Killed, Others Kidnapped in Eastern Congo: Army
Two Chinese nationals have been killed and an unknown number of other people have been kidnapped in an attack by the CODECO militia on a mining camp in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, an army spokesman said Thursday. ...
Voice of America. Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:51:33 -0500.