- Kenya's First Football Team of People Living with Albinism
Team hopes to beat all odds to play in league.
Voice of America. Tue, 20 Aug 2019 06:17:41 -0400.
- Air raid in Somalia killed al-Shabab fighter, says US
US Africa Command says persistent pressure limits armed fighters' freedom of movement.
Al Jazeera. Tue, 20 Aug 2019 05:28:05 GMT.
- Sen. Tim Scott: Democratic presidential candidates trying to dupe African-American voters
Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., defended President Trump and his policies as Democrats take to his home state to court the black vote.
Frank Miles. Fox News. Tue, 20 Aug 2019 01:40:21 GMT.
- Global change is triggering an identity switch in grasslands
Since the first Homo sapiens emerged in Africa roughly 300,000 years ago, grasslands have sustained humanity and thousands of other species. But today, those grasslands are shifting beneath our feet. ...
Science Daily. Mon, 19 Aug 2019 16:43:34 EDT.
- In Zimbabwe, An Economic Crisis With 175% Inflation Drives Discontent
Protests took place Friday. Power cuts can last up to 18 hours a day. About a third of Zimbabwe's population needs food aid, due to drought and the worsening economy, the U.N. says.
Tendai Marima. NPR. Mon, 19 Aug 2019 15:21:00 -0400.
- Kenyan robber who was meant to be deported 10 YEARS ago goes on to rob jeweller's in North Yorkshire
Victor Okumu, 38, should have been deported in 2009 after robbing a woman at gunpoint in her own home. But ten years later he has been allowed to raid a jewellery shop in North Yorkshire.
Daily Mail. Mon, 19 Aug 2019 19:01:20 +0100.
- Off-Grid Solar Power Is Making Africa's Emerging Economies A Little Brighter
Off-grid solar power is making a huge difference in emerging economies and especially those in Nigeria and the Ivory Coast. Investors are therefore enticed, meaning the renewables industry has a positive forecast on the continent.
By Ken Silverstein, Contributor. Forbes. Mon, 19 Aug 2019 12:50:00 +0000.
- Royal approval for Berkshire woman's Kenyan charity
Peter Njuguna was helped by a Berkshire charity that's been adopted by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
BBC News. Mon, 19 Aug 2019 12:28:51 GMT.
- Ebola outbreak spreads to 3rd province in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo
The yearlong Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo continues to spread.
ABC News. Mon, 19 Aug 2019 07:24:56 -0400.
- Food for sport: African dishes for the win
Zambian sports nutritionist Linia Patel recommends African recipes for different events.
BBC News. Mon, 19 Aug 2019 08:23:06 GMT.
- Ebola spread to new Congo area reflects flawed response, aid workers say
A woman and her child were confirmed to be the first two Ebola cases in Congo's South Kivu province, health ministry says.
CBC News. Fri, 16 Aug 2019 16:51:21 EDT.
- Rights Group: Zimbabwe's Deteriorating Economy Hurting Children, Too
Zimbabwe's deteriorating economy is forcing many families to put their children to work to put food on the table. Child rights activists say an increasing number of children are selling things on the street to supplement family income. ...
Voice of America. Fri, 16 Aug 2019 03:46:37 -0400.
- The Latest: Protesters, police clash in Zimbabwe's capital
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) - The Latest on Zimbabwe's anti-government demonstration (all times local): 11:05 a.m. Police are clashing with a few hundred anti-government protesters who gathered in central Harare. ...
Washington Times. Fri, 16 Aug 2019 03:17:09 -0400.
- Zimbabwe police, protesters clash in Zimbabwe's capital
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) - Zimbabwe's police fired tear gas Friday to disperse anti-government protesters in the center of the capital, Harare. ...
Farai Mutsaka. Washington Times. Fri, 16 Aug 2019 02:35:15 -0400.
- Nissan-BMW to Reach Electric Car Concept to South Africa
Nissan (NSANY), BMW (BAMXF) and Volkswagen (VWAGY) to popularize electric vehicles in South Africa.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Thu, 15 Aug 2019 13:29:00 GMT.
- In Pictures: France pays tribute to 'the other D-Day' soldiers
Seventy-five years ago, French forces and fighters from its African colonies helped liberate France from Nazi Germany. Here's how France commemorated the anniversary.
The Local. Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:04:47 +0200.
- Fanning hurt on South African surf safari
Retirement hasn't been kind to Mick Fanning, who has suffered a torn ACL in his knee while surfing in South Africa.
Sydney Morning Herald. Tue, 13 Aug 2019 18:15:24 +1000.
- STR: Middle East, Africa hotel construction remains steady
STR's July 2019 hotel pipeline data showed 427 projects accounting for 123,742 rooms in construction in the Middle East and 138 projects and 25,986 rooms in construction in Africa. ...
Hsyndicate. Tue, 13 Aug 2019 09:41:40 +0200.
- WashPost 'Embarrassed' by 15 Black Farmers Story Corrections
A lengthy article published last month on the plight of African-American farmers required 15 corrections on a range of basic and detailed factual errors, leaving The Washington Post admittedly "embarrassed."
Newsmax. Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:35:12 EDT.
- Dozens killed as fuel tanker explodes in Tanzania
A damaged tanker truck has exploded in Tanzania as people were trying to siphon fuel out of it, killing at least 62, in one of the worst incidents of its kind in the east African country.
Irish Independent. Sat, 10 Aug 2019 08:38:01 +0100.