- Tory MPs fear 'growing cracks' between Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak after China and US negotiations
Tory MPs have expressed concern about 'growing cracks' between Boris Johnson and his Chancellor Rishi Sunak over post-Brexit economic policy and the UK's tense relationship with China.
Daily Mail. Sun, 07 Jun 2020 00:46:30 +0100.
- Lessons from Asia's new virus spikes
Asia was the first to experience the virus, the first to exit lockdown, and now has new spikes.
BBC News. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 23:15:52 GMT.
- HSBC warns it could face reprisals in China if UK bans Huawei equipment: Telegraph
HSBC Holdings Plc Chairman Mark Tucker has warned Britain against a ban on networking equipment made by Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, claiming the bank could face reprisals in China, the Telegraph reported on Saturday.
Reuters. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 18:17:13 -0400.
- Covid 19 coronavirus: Virus began as 'accident' in Chinese lab, ex MI6 boss says
A former head of MI6 believes the coronavirus pandemic "started as an accident" when the virus escaped from a laboratory in China. In an interview with the Daily Telegraph UK, Sir Richard Dearlove said he had seen an ...
New Zealand Herald. Sun, 07 Jun 2020 06:38:14 +1200.
- Japan's Coronavirus Numbers Are Low. Are Masks the Reason?
In America, masks have become a weapon in the culture wars. In Japan, wearing one is no big deal, and deaths have stayed low.
Motoko Rich and Noriko Hayashi. New York Times. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 14:58:57 +0000.
- Taiwan populist mayor recalled in historic vote
A populist Taiwanese mayor was recalled by voters on Saturday, abruptly ending the rise of a politician whose failed presidential bid had favoured closer ties with China. ...
Yahoo. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 10:51:13 -0400.
- Pompeo blasts China: 'Callous attempts to exploit George Floyd's death'
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo hammered China for its criticism of the U.S.'s response to protests across the country against George Floyd's death, accusing Beijing of trying to "exploit" the demonstrations."The ...
Tal Axelrod. The Hill. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 14:42:36 +0000.
- Coronavirus: Africa has to weather coronavirus fallout without stimulus provided in US, Asia and Europe
Japan's stimulus, including existing measures, equates to 42 per cent of GDP
Yinka Ibukun. The Independent. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 14:10:12 GMT.
- India and China generals hold meeting to defuse border standoff
The talks come after multiple local military level meetings failed to defuse the tension.
Al Jazeera. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 12:25:32 GMT.
- More Than 100 Detained At Kazakh Opposition Rallies To Demand Democratic Reforms
More than 100 opposition activists have been detained by police in Kazakhstan where two opposition parties had planned to hold rallies on June 6 in several cities to demand democratic reforms in the Central Asian nation.
Radio Liberty. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 09:41:00 +0000.
- Myanmar Avoids Helping Rohingya Minority Despite International Court Order, Observers say
A UN court is demanding the Southeast Asian country spare the Muslim minority from genocide.
Voice of America. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 05:39:20 -0400.
- BBL's crowd plans could raise stakes in brewing Cricket Australia pay stoush
Big Bash League clubs are planning for fans to be able to attend games next summer in a development that could have implications for the India series.
Andrew Wu. Sydney Morning Herald. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 18:04:02 +1000.
- China Urges Citizens to Shun Australia as Virus Dispute Simmers
Appears to be Beijing's latest attempt to punish Australia for advocating an inquiry into coronavirus.
Voice of America. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 02:13:34 -0400.
- Labour accuses government of covering up recommendations to protect BAME people
Labour's shadow health secretary has accused the government of "covering up vital recommendations" that could help protect black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) people from COVID-19.
Sky News. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 01:34:00 +0100.
- Coronavirus: Is China bolder in the wake of the pandemic?
As the rest of the world reels from the pandemic, China is pushing ahead with the pursuit of its national interest.
BBC News. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 23:16:50 GMT.
- Putin satisfied with work of Russian Direct Investment Fund
The Russian-Japanese coronavirus diagnostics system EMG, developed with RDIF participation, makes it possible to get the result in half an hour
Tass. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 21:02:53 +0300.
- Amazon Shows Interest in Airtel, Eyes India Telecom Space
Amazon (AMZN) is in talks to acquire 5% in Bharti Airtel to foray into the booming India telecom market.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 14:26:00 GMT.
- Stimulus Checks Still Lacking At Some Small Businesses Hit By China Lockdowns
Meanwhile, 56% of business impacted by the coronavirus say they are looking for new suppliers outside of China.
By Kenneth Rapoza, Senior Contributor. Forbes. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 08:00:00 -0400.
- World shares, Wall St futures advance ahead of US jobs data
Shares surged Friday in early European trading and Wall Street futures were higher after a broad advance in Asia as investors await U.S. jobs data for May. ...
Elaine Kurtenbach. Washington Times. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 03:24:24 -0400.
- Peatland drainage in Southeast Asia adds to climate change
Study reveals drainage, deforestation of the region's peatlands, which leads to fires, greenhouse emissions, land subsidence.
Science Daily. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 11:16:45 EDT.