- Could Typhoon Hagibis mark the limits of Japan's safety measures?
For centuries, the Japanese government has seen disaster management as a problem to be solved by engineering. But climate change has rewritten the rules.
Sydney Morning Herald. Sun, 20 Oct 2019 00:00:00 +1100.
- 'Brave' new world as Japanese rugby blossoms
Most Japanese had little time for rugby a few weeks ago, but Japan's rugby team is aiming to make history at the Rugby World Cup on Sunday.
Al Jazeera. Sat, 19 Oct 2019 12:47:24 GMT.
- England BEAT Australia! Fans at home and in Japan go wild as Owen Farrell's team trounce old rivals
As England reached their first semi-final in 12 years, chants of Swing Low Sweet Chariot echoed throughout the Oita stadium which was flooded by around 20,000 travelling England fans.
Daily Mail. Sat, 19 Oct 2019 11:37:13 +0100.
- Hong Kong protests: NBA fans join anti-China display
Spectators at a US basketball match don T-shirts and masks in support of the Hong Kong protests.
BBC News. Sat, 19 Oct 2019 10:26:41 GMT.
- 126th Canton Fair Witnesses Innovative Development in Home Appliance Products
GUANGZHOU, China, Oct. ...
PR Newswire. Sat, 19 Oct 2019 07:16:00 +0000.
- Friday's Sports in Brief
PRO BASKETBALL BEIJING (AP) - China denied NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's claim that it demanded the firing of Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey over a tweet that supported anti-government protests in Hong Kong. ...
The Associated Press. Washington Times. Sat, 19 Oct 2019 02:31:50 -0400.
- Malaysians Unclear if Significant Steps Will Be Taken to Prevent Toxic Haze
Environmental advocates are pushing for action to prevent toxic haze in Southeast Asia.
Voice of America. Sat, 19 Oct 2019 01:50:44 -0400.
- Deep-sea explorers find lost Japanese ship that sank during WW II
A crew of researchers scanning the sea floor of the Pacific has found the final resting place of a Japanese warship lost during the historic World War II Battle of Midway.
CBC News. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 19:22:24 EDT.
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood reportedly won't be recut for China - CNET
China put the release of the film on hold a week before it was set to launch.
Abrar Al-heeti. CNET. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 22:58:00 +0000.
- Chinese national convicted of trying to export US military technology to China
A Chinese national was sentenced Wednesday to 40 months in prison after being accused of conspiring to export U.S. military and space technology to China, the Justice Department said Friday.
Morgan Phillips. Fox News. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 22:56:56 GMT.
- Apple's Tim Cook urged by lawmakers to 'reverse course' on China, Hong Kong - CNET
A bipartisan group of US Congress members calls Apple's removal of the HKmap.live app "deeply concerning."
Shelby Brown. CNET. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 21:12:00 +0000.
- Navarro: 'Phase One' of China Trade Deal Possible in Nov.
White House trade adviser Peter Navarro said Friday "phase one" of a deal with China could happen in mid-November, during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum.
Newsmax. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 14:31:46 EDT.
- National Zoo Says Bye Bye to Bei Bei
The giant panda recently turned four years old and will soon move to China to breed
Smithsonian. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:06:24 +0000.
- Breath of Something Big: Jersey Girl Homemade Guitars
Luthier Kaz Goto on the astonishing guitars, pedals, and straps crafted in his countryside shop in Hokkaido, Japan.
Premier Guitar. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:00:00 -0400.
- What's in the Offing for Ford (F) This Earnings Season?
While higher revenues in the North American market are likely to have benefited Ford (F), lower vehicle deliveries in China, Europe and Asia Pacific regions might have hampered profits.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 16:00:00 GMT.
- NBA 'willing' to take losses in China to stand for 'American values'
NBA commissioner Adam Silver said financial losses have been "substantial" for the NBA in China in the wake of a since-deleted tweet.
ABC News. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:34:35 -0400.
- Encouraging Earnings Help Market Sentiment Despite Disappointing Data From China
Earnings surprises to the upside keep rolling in, helping to boost market sentiment.
By Jj Kinahan, Contributor. Forbes. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:37:41 +0000.
- Typhoon Hagibis: Japan postpones Emperor Naruhito's enthronement parade
Japan's Emperor Naruhito will formally ascend to the throne on Tuesday, as rescue efforts continue.
BBC News. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:00:09 GMT.
- China denies it asked for Morey's firing over HK tweet
BEIJING (AP) - China is refuting NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's claim that it demanded the firing of Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey over a tweet that supported anti-government protests in Hong Kong. ...
Washington Times. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 04:10:27 -0400.
- 5 Top Semiconductor Stocks to Buy Now
Investors' focus has locked in on semiconductor stocks following news of a potential "phase one" trade deal between the U.S. and China. ...
Kiplinger. Thu, 17 Oct 2019 20:14:32 -0400.