- New Satellite Analysis Shows Mauritius Oil Slick Growing Ten Times In Size Over Past Five Days
The latest satellite imagery captures the rapidly widening oil spill around the site of stricken Japanese bulk carrier, the Wakashio, on the pristine coral reefs of the Indian Ocean Island of Mauritius.
By Nishan Degnarain, Contributor. Forbes. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:15:01 -0400.
- TikTok 'tracked Android users online without allowing them to opt out'
TikTok was until November accessing data from the users of Android phones, it has been reported - deepening concern about surveillance of users by China. Trump has threatened to ban the app.
Daily Mail. Wed, 12 Aug 2020 01:46:17 GMT.
- Azar defends Taiwan trip, says China should worry about 'getting more transparent, more open' on coronavirus
Chinese officials should be more concerned with transparency and cooperation with the international community than with a U.S. ...
Charles Creitz. Fox News. Wed, 12 Aug 2020 00:58:24 GMT.
- Urgent pumping removes oil from ship grounded near Mauritius
In a race against tides and time, workers pumped tons of fuel on Tuesday from a Japanese bulk carrier ship grounded in the shallow waters of Mauritius to try to prevent a renewed oil spill from further fouling the island's ...
New Zealand Herald. Wed, 12 Aug 2020 10:40:36 +1200.
- Worldwide COVID-19 case count tops 20 million, doubling in six weeks
More than half of the cases come from just three countries: the U.S., India and Brazil, according to the tally kept by Johns Hopkins University.
Ap. ABC News. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 22:06:37 +0000.
- 'Not enough info' to evaluate Russian coronavirus vaccine: Live
Spain's cases rise to 326,612; Mexico to conduct trials for China, US vaccines; Florida reports 5,800 infections.
Al Jazeera. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:28:37 GMT.
- Hong Kong pro-democracy activist and media mogul Jimmy Lai is released on bail
Hong Kong pro-democracy media mogul Jimmy Lai walked free on bail Wednesday, over a day after he and other critics of China were rounded up by police as part of a widening crackdown on dissent.
News Wires. France 24. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 18:55:30 GMT.
- China Refrains From Ousting Hong Kong Lawmakers
Beijing allows four pro-democracy lawmakers to serve out their terms even after they were barred from running for re-election.
Keith Bradsher. New York Times. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 18:20:30 +0000.
- Trump says 'great' bond with China's Xi changed after COVID-19
The US President said his feelings about his Chinese counterpart had changed amid the pandemic and he had not spoken to Xi in "a long time".
Sydney Morning Herald. Wed, 12 Aug 2020 03:23:30 +1000.
- UK-Japan post-Brexit talks 'hit stumbling block over Stilton'
Post-Brexit trade talks between the UK and Japan have reportedly hit a "stumbling block" - blue cheese.
Sky News. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 18:11:00 +0100.
- Exclusive: How Venezuela lost three oil supertankers to its Chinese partner
A shipping joint venture between Venezuela and China has fallen apart in the wake of U.S. ...
Yahoo. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:59:54 -0400.
- Stilton drives wedge between UK-Japan Brexit deal
Stil-tons to do as talks over blue cheese become an unlikely obstacle to a post-Brexit trade agreement.
BBC News. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 15:00:10 GMT.
- China Auto Market Gains Traction, EV Sales Snap 12-Month Slump
Auto sales in China log the fourth straight month of year-over-year growth in July. Further, EV sales witness the first monthly gain after 12 months of decline.
Rimmi Singhi. Zacks. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 14:23:00 GMT.
- Coronavirus: Global cases reach 20m with more than half of infections coming from US, India and Brazil
Cases double in just over six weeks as WHO chief notes positive signs in pandemic fight
Conrad Duncan. The Independent. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:42:46 GMT.
- Apple Daily: The Hong Kong newspaper that pushed the boundary
China has arrested the founder of the Apple Daily, a rare paper unafraid to openly criticise Beijing.
BBC News. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:33:43 GMT.
- Japan tech giant SoftBank's profits rise on investments
TOKYO (AP) - Japanese technology giant SoftBank Group Corp.'s said Tuesday that its profit rose 12% in April-June from a year earlier as its investments added to its coffers, including sales of its shares in U.S. carrier T-Mobile. ...
Yuri Kageyama. Washington Times. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 03:52:36 -0400.
- World shares march higher as S&P 500 nears all-time record
Shares advanced in Europe and Asia on Tuesday after the S&P 500 climbed to within striking distance of its all-time high set in February. ...
Elaine Kurtenbach. Washington Times. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 02:31:41 -0400.
- An ancient association? Crickets disperse seeds of early-diverging orchid Apostasia nipponica
A professor presents evidence of the apparently unusual seed dispersal system by crickets and camel crickets in Apostasia nipponica (Apostasioideae), acknowledged as an early-diverging lineage of Orchidaceae.
Science Daily. Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:32:02 EDT.
- WaPost gives three Pinocchios to McConnell challenger for China attack
The Washington Post gave Senate candidate Amy McGrath (D-Ky.) three Pinocchios on Monday after she said that her November opponent, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), "made millions from China."The ...
Joe Concha. The Hill. Mon, 10 Aug 2020 14:59:10 +0000.
- Tokyo to build JSDF base on Mage Island
The Japanese Ministry of Defense (MoD) has revealed plans to build a Japan Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) base, as well as a training site for US carrier-based aircraft ...
Janes 360. Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:56:29 Z.