- Lubomir Kavalek, Czech Who Became U.S. Chess Champion, Dies at 77
One of the first and most elite chess players to flee the Soviet bloc for the West, he was among the best players in the world for many years.
Dylan Loeb Mcclain. New York Times. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 21:01:19 +0000.
- Belarus Stripped Of 2021 World Pentathlon Championships Due To 'Instability'
Just days after it was stripped of the world ice hockey championships, Belarus has lost another international sporting event it was due to host.
Radio Liberty. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 18:56:56 +0000.
- Belarus stripped of its right to host 2021 Modern Pentathlon World Championship
Earlier this week, Belarus also lost its right to host matches of the 2021 Ice Hockey World Championship
Tass. Fri, 22 Jan 2021 20:06:47 +0300.
- Ukraine fire: Fifteen dead as blaze guts home for elderly
Another 11 people are hurt in the fire in the two-storey building in the eastern city of Kharkiv.
BBC News. Thu, 21 Jan 2021 16:21:31 GMT.
- Was Bram Stoker's Dracula based on Jack the Ripper?
Andy Struthers, 54, rubbishes conventional theories that Bram Stoker's vampire was based on feared Romanian ruler Vlad the Impaler.
Daily Mail. Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:26:39 +0000.
- Coronavirus: Hungary first in EU to approve Russian vaccine
Its health authorities give preliminary approval to the Russian-developed Sputnik V coronavirus jab.
BBC News. Thu, 21 Jan 2021 12:49:25 GMT.
- AT&T (T) to Retrench Slovakia Workforce Amid Demand Woes
A downtrend in customer demand for legacy products and services owing to coronavirus-induced adversities affects the profitability of AT&T (T) in Slovakia.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:08:00 GMT.
- IIHF pulls hockey worlds from Belarus, seeks new host
The hockey world championships were pulled from Belarus on Monday following pressure from opposition groups and a threatened boycott by sponsors.
Fox News. Mon, 18 Jan 2021 17:03:48 GMT.
- Covid 19 coronavirus: Slovakia aims to test almost all of its 5.4 million citizens for virus over 9 days
Slovakia is launching a project to test almost all its citizens for the coronavirus in nine days.The country's government hopes the nationwide testing will speed up a recovery from the latest wave of the infections, make it ...
New Zealand Herald. Mon, 18 Jan 2021 12:41:17 +1200.
- AP PHOTOS: Ukraine's hospitals grapple with COVID-19 surge
- COVID-19 vaccine shipments arrive across EU before rollout
WARSAW, Poland (AP) - The first shipments of coronavirus vaccines have arrived across the European Union as authorities prepared to administer the first shots to the most vulnerable people in a coordinated effort on Sunday. ...
Vanessa Gera. Washington Times. Sat, 26 Dec 2020 07:04:20 -0500.
- France, Romania Receive First Doses of Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
Russia approves its main coronavirus vaccine for people over 60 years old.
Voice of America. Sat, 26 Dec 2020 05:21:09 -0500.
- How scientists are using declassified military photographs to analyse historical ecological change
Researchers are using Cold War spy satellite images to explore changes in the environment, including deforestation in Romania, marmot decline in Kazakhstan and ecological damage from bombs in Vietnam.
Science Daily. Thu, 17 Dec 2020 11:29:39 EST.
- How To Cash In Betting GGG Vs. Kamil Szeremeta: 3 Bets Where Oddsmakers Provide Value
On Friday, December 18, Gennadiy Golovkin will attempt to defend his middleweight title for the 21st time when he faces IBF mandatory #1 challenger Kamil Szeremeta from Poland. ...
By Peter Kahn, Contributor. Forbes. Thu, 17 Dec 2020 08:00:00 -0500.
- Ukraine Seeks to Designate Chernobyl as a Unesco World Heritage Site
"People should leave with an awareness of the historic significance of the place," says the country's culture minister
Smithsonian. Wed, 16 Dec 2020 20:27:22 +0000.
- Holocaust victims ask Supreme Court for help reclaiming art and property
The Supreme Court will decide whether Holocaust victims can sue Germany and Hungary in U.S. courts in bid to reclaim property allegedly stolen during World War II.
ABC News. Mon, 07 Dec 2020 16:54:54 -0500.
- The Queenslander's gambit: The day a Russian Grandmaster was defeated in Brisbane
Czech-Polish immigrant Josef Tarnawski left war-torn Romania for Brisbane where he defeated Russian grandmaster Alexander Kotov in Brisbane in October 6, 1963.
Tony Moore. Sydney Morning Herald. Sat, 05 Dec 2020 22:00:00 +1100.
- Third Metallic Monolith Appears, This Time in Southern California
The first monolith appeared in a remote area of Utah, and another appeared in Romania.
Voice of America. Thu, 03 Dec 2020 13:35:17 -0500.
- Women-led protests against police violence planned in Poland
WARSAW, Poland (AP) - Women's rights activists who have led weeks of protests over a restrictive abortion ruling in Poland are calling on people to join nationwide demonstrations against police violence on Saturday. ...
Washington Times. Sat, 28 Nov 2020 04:55:25 -0500.
- Research Headlines - New power plant to convert crop waste into advanced biofuel
An advanced biofuel plant under construction in Romania is at the centre of an EU-funded project to prove the environmental and economic benefits of producing cellulosic ethanol from agricultural residues.
European Commission. Wed, 25 Nov 2020 00:00:00 GMT.
Eastern European States include Belarus, the Czech Republic, Hungary,
and Moldova as well as Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Ukraine.
The government websites listed below provide official news and travel
information about each of these Eastern Europe countries.
The Republic of Belarus' capital city is Minsk, and its national
currency is the Belorusian Rouble. Belorusian and Russian are
the primary languages used in Belarus, and in 2020, the population
of Belarus was estimated at 9,449,323.
The Czech Republic's capital city
is Prague, and its national currency is the Koruna. Czech is the
nation's official language, and in 2020, the Czech Republic's estimated
population was 10,708,981.
The Republic of Hungary's capital city is Budapest, and its currency
is the Forint. Magyar is the primary language used by Hungarians,
and in 2020, the nation's estimated population was 9,660,351.
The Republic of Moldova's capital city is Chisinau, and its currency
is the Leu. Moldovan's official language is Moldovan, and in 2020,
the country's estimated population was 4,033,963.
The Republic of Poland's capital city is Warsaw, and its currency is
the Zloty. The primary language used in Poland is Polish, and in
2020, the country's estimated population was 37,846,611.
Romania's capital city
is Bucharest, and its national currency is the Leu. Romania's
official language is Romanian, and in 2020, the country's estimated
population was 19,237,691.
The Slovak Republic's
capital city is Bratislava, and its currency is the Koruna.
Slovakia's official language is Slovak, and in 2020, the country's
estimated population was 5,459,642.
Ukraine's capital city
is Kiev, and its currency is the Hryvnia. Ukrainian and Russian
are Ukraine's primary languages, and in 2020, the country's estimated
population was 43,733,762.