- Democrat calls on White House to withdraw ambassador to Belarus nominee
Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) called on the White House to withdraw its nominee to be the U.S. ambassador to Belarus after a widely disputed presidential election there.Murphy, a member of the Senate Foreign ...
Tal Axelrod. The Hill. Wed, 12 Aug 2020 03:35:54 +0000.
- Belarus election: Opposition leader Tikhanovskaya fled 'for sake of her children'
Svetlana Tikhanovskaya is in Lithuania after disputing election results she says were rigged.
BBC News. Wed, 12 Aug 2020 00:27:16 GMT.
- Belarusian law enforcement officers quell protests in Minsk residential districts
According to eyewitnesses, police and security forces are responding in a more decisive and tougher way than the day before
Tass. Wed, 12 Aug 2020 03:14:16 +0300.
- Belarus opposition leader flees the country after election result
The main opposition leader in Belarus has fled to Lithuania 'for the sake of her children' amid deadly clashes after losing a disputed election to Alexander Lukashenko.
Daily Mail. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 17:47:23 +0100.
- Belarus election: A second night of violence and protests
A BBC team in Minsk saw violent scenes amid protests sparked by Sunday's disputed election result.
BBC News. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 13:26:30 GMT.
- Belarus Says Longtime Leader Is Re-elected in Vote Critics Call Rigged
A government exit poll said Aleksandr Lukashenko had won almost 80 percent of the vote. That triggered protests against the repressive regime, and a heavy police response.
Ivan Nechepurenko and Andrew Higgins. New York Times. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:22:22 +0000.
- Pompeo Heads to Central Europe as US Looks to Confront Russian, Chinese Influence
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is traveling to the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Austria and Poland.
Voice of America. Mon, 10 Aug 2020 18:25:18 -0400.
- Belarus election was not free and fair, US Secretary of State Pompeo says
"We strongly condemn ongoing violence against protesters and the detention of opposition supporters," said the US Secretary of State.
Sydney Morning Herald. Tue, 11 Aug 2020 06:02:06 +1000.
- Belarus opposition rejects election results amid calls for more protests
Belarus' main opposition candidate has rejected election results giving Alexander Lukashenko a landslide victory, as there were calls for fresh protests in Minsk.
ABC News. Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:32:19 -0400.
- The arrest of 33 Russian mercenaries amid election chaos in Belarus is testing Putin's patience
"It's not a great situation in general but doubly dangerous because nobody can say for sure what Putin will do," a NATO official told Insider.
Yahoo. Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:21:35 -0400.
- Belarus In Turmoil Amid Reported Death During Protests Over 'Rigged' Election
A human rights group says at least one person was killed in a brutal police crackdown as protests swept Belarus after the presidential election. ...
Radio Liberty. Mon, 10 Aug 2020 14:17:00 +0000.
- Belarus' leader faces toughest challenge yet in Sunday vote
MINSK, Belarus (AP) - After 26 years in office, the authoritarian leader of Belarus is facing the toughest challenge yet as he runs for a sixth term. ...
Yuras Karmanau. Washington Times. Sat, 08 Aug 2020 02:15:19 -0400.
- Arrest of Polish LGBT activist leads to scuffle with police
WARSAW, Poland (AP) - LGBT rights activists scuffled with police Friday in Warsaw after turning out on the streets to protest the arrest of an an activist. ...
Washington Times. Fri, 07 Aug 2020 17:14:37 -0400.
- Coronavirus: Melbourne boy Jahleel Marsh dies after Covid-19 delays surgery
A Melbourne mother has shared her heartbreaking story of losing her child after the coronavirus pandemic stopped the family travelling to Poland for life-saving surgery.Rebecca Marsh, 41, was scheduled to take her son Jahleel ...
New Zealand Herald. Sat, 08 Aug 2020 07:19:54 +1200.
- Dutch cyclist in Poland crash conscious, in good condition
Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen is in good condition after he was brought out of an induced coma following a controversial crash with one of his countrymen near the finish line at the Tour of Poland,
Fox News. Fri, 07 Aug 2020 17:31:21 GMT.
- Journalist Group Calls on Belarus to Release Blogger, Other Reporters Before Elections
Evgeniy Vasilkov and five other journalists were arrested July 31 covering opposition rallies.
Voice of America. Fri, 07 Aug 2020 03:45:57 -0400.
- Facebook Shuts Down Romania-Linked Accounts Posing As Trump Supporters
Facebook has removed over 100 fake accounts based in Romania over suspected interference in the U. S. ...
By Vidhi Choudhary, Forbes Staff. Forbes. Thu, 06 Aug 2020 16:21:09 -0400.
- US and Poland reach Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement
The United States and Poland have reached an Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA), the US Department of Defense (DoD) and Polish Ministry of National ...
Janes 360. Wed, 05 Aug 2020 12:04:21 Z.
- Former Nazi Concentration Camp Guard Convicted as Accessory in 5,230 Murders
Defendant Bruce Dey, now 93, oversaw prisoners at Stutthof in Poland from August 1944 to April 1945
Smithsonian. Mon, 27 Jul 2020 14:25:55 +0000.
- Motorola Solutions Secures Contract From the Romanian Police
Motorola Solutions (MSI) gets a contract for 12,000 VB400 body-worn cameras including VideoManager software from central police unit in Romania.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Fri, 17 Jul 2020 15:34:00 GMT.
Eastern European States include Belarus, the Czech Republic, Hungary,
and Moldova as well as Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Ukraine.
The government websites listed below provide official news and travel
information about each of these Eastern Europe countries.
The Republic of Belarus' capital city is Minsk, and its national
currency is the Belorusian Rouble. Belorusian and Russian are
the primary languages used in Belarus, and in 2007, the population
of Belarus was estimated at 9,725,000.
The Czech Republic's capital city
is Prague, and its national currency is the Koruna. Czech is the
nation's official language, and in 2007, the Czech Republic's estimated
population was 10,229,000.
The Republic of Hungary's capital city is Budapest, and its currency
is the Forint. Magyar is the primary language used by Hungarians,
and in 2007, the nation's estimated population was 9,956,000.
The Republic of Moldova's capital city is Chisinau, and its currency
is the Leu. Moldovan's official language is Moldovan, and in 2007,
the country's estimated population was 4,329,000.
The Republic of Poland's capital city is Warsaw, and its currency is
the Zloty. The primary language used in Poland is Polish, and in
2007, the country's estimated population was 38,518,000.
Romania's capital city
is Bucharest, and its national currency is the Leu. Romania's
official language is Romanian, and in 2007, the country's estimated
population was 22,276,000.
The Slovak Republic's
capital city is Bratislava, and its currency is the Koruna.
Slovakia's official language is Slovak, and in 2007, the country's
estimated population was 5,448,000.
Ukraine's capital city
is Kiev, and its currency is the Hryvnia. Ukrainian and Russian
are Ukraine's primary languages, and in 2007, the country's estimated
population was 46,300,000.