The Internet is a system of interconnected computer networks that
deliver content to billions of users around the globe. It utilizes
the standard Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) and electronic, wireless
and optical technologies to link millions of smaller networks into the
larger network we collectively think of. The content made
accessible by the Internet is extremely diverse and is a reflection of
society itself. New methods of technology, content delivery, and
design trends ensure that Internet news is constantly changing.
Browse the headlines below to find relevant, up-to-date Internet news
for web programmers and designers, technology professionals, and the
general public alike.
- Internet loves Iowa girl's 'ranch reach' behind Senator Gillibrand
Presidential campaign stumping is already in full swing in Iowa. But there's one woman who's stealing viral headlines, not because she's running for office, but for something some may consider more important.
ABC News. Fri, 22 Feb 2019 01:27:18 UTC.
- Web watchdog warns over knee-jerk regulation of social networks
Internet Watch Foundation says regulation of social networks could have "unintended consequences".
BBC News. Fri, 22 Feb 2019 00:11:47 GMT.
- Mother FEEDS her video-game addicted 13-year-old son who refuses to step away from his screen
A mother has filmed the disturbing moment she brings a plate of breakfast to feed her 13-year-old son during a marathon 48-hour gaming binge at an internet cafe in the Philippines.
Daily Mail. Thu, 21 Feb 2019 16:17:25 GMT.
- Smart locks: One in four households intend to buy this year - CNET
Internet-connected locks will become more mainstream over the next few years due to their affordability, new research suggests.
Ty Pendlebury. CNET. Thu, 21 Feb 2019 15:19:00 +0000.
- Zion Williamson busts through his own shoe, hurts knee, causes mass internet panic
Duke's freshman sensation went down just 33 seconds into the Blue Devils' rivalry game with North Carolina at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Christopher Powers. Golf Digest. Thu, 21 Feb 2019 03:02:08 +0000.
- Number of hate groups in US reached record high in 2018: SPLC
Watchdog finds number of hate groups increased by seven percent last year, as groups used internet to grow and recruit.
Al Jazeera. Wed, 20 Feb 2019 23:57:48 GMT.
- Galaxy Fold: The internet reacts to Samsung's flexible phone
The handset-maker wows with its phone-tablet hybrid, but many struggle to get over its price.
BBC News. Wed, 20 Feb 2019 23:04:06 GMT.
- Russia must build own internet in case of foreign disruption: Putin
Russia must prepare for possible Western attempts to deny it access to the global internet by creating its own self-sufficient 'segments' of the web, President Vladimir Putin was quoted as saying on Wednesday by Russian news agencies.
Reuters. Wed, 20 Feb 2019 13:03:21 -0500.
- Rising voices against popular online game highlight India's growing Internet addiction
NEW DELHI - "Demon in every house" may seem a far-fetched indictment for a mobile game.
Straits Times. Wed, 20 Feb 2019 18:24:21 +0800.
- Comcast sues state of Tennessee, claims $17M tax overcharge
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Comcast is suing the state of Tennessee to recoup $17.1 million paid in taxes, claiming the state miscalculated what the company owed for its video and internet services. ...
Washington Times. Wed, 20 Feb 2019 04:40:29 -0500.
- What's in the Cards for Realty Income's (O) Q4 Earnings?
Realty Income's (O) Q4 results likely to highlight benefits from its focus on tenants from service, non-discretionary and Internet-resilient business amid choppy retail real estate market.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Tue, 19 Feb 2019 13:55:00 GMT.
- EU removes 'offensive' blog post attacking internet campaigners against new copyright rules
Activists were referred to as a 'mob' and article suggested they had been tricked by paid-for campaigns
Andrew Griffin. The Independent. Tue, 19 Feb 2019 10:01:00 +0000.
- Huawei could still be in play for 5G in New Zealand and United Kingdom
New Zealand's prime minister won't rule out that Huawei tech could still be used in an internet upgrade across her country if unnamed risks can be mitigated.
ZDNet. Tue, 19 Feb 2019 01:15:09 +0000.
- China accuses U.S. of trying to block its tech development
China's government is accusing the United States of trying to block its industrial development by alleging that Chinese mobile network gear poses a cybersecurity threat to countries rolling out new internet systems.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:25:24 EST.
- Venezuela state internet provider blocks volunteer aid page
Venezuela's state internet provider CANTV has blocked a webpage where volunteers sign up to answer National Assembly president Juan Guaido's call to help bring in desperately needed humanitarian aid, the opposition said on Monday. ...
Yahoo. Mon, 18 Feb 2019 10:39:57 -0500.
- NYC's de Blasio: Amazon 'Couldn't Handle Heat in The Kitchen'
Mayor Bill de Blasio on Sunday denied Amazon got "chased away" from a deal to build a headquarters in New York City - saying the internet retailing giant "couldn't handle the heat in the kitchen."..
Newsmax. Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:53:12 EDT.
- Box Office: 'How To Train Your Dragon 3' Tops $170M, 'Wandering Earth' Tops $560M
'Ralph Breaks the Internet' has earned over $500 million worldwide.
By Scott Mendelson, Contributor. Forbes. Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:45:00 -0500.
- Researcher: China Surveillance Firm Tracking Millions in Xinjiang
A Chinese surveillance firm is tracking the movements of more than 2.5 million people in the far-western Xinjiang region, according to a data leak flagged by a Dutch internet expert. ...
Voice of America. Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:34:50 -0500.
- US needs an internet data privacy law, GAO tells Congress - CNET
Chief auditor cites Facebook's Cambridge Analytica data scandal as an example of why a privacy law is necessary.
Steven Musil. CNET. Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:49:02 +0000.
- Vegan parents accused of nearly starving baby to death in the US
A vegan couple from Florida has been arrested for allegedly almost starving their 5-month-old son to death by switching from his doctor-prescribed formula to a mashed potato concoction they found on the internet.Julia French, ...
New Zealand Herald. Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:13:21 +1200.