The Internet is a system of interconnected computer networks that
deliver content to billions of users around the globe. It utilizes
the standard Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) and electronic, wireless
and optical technologies to link millions of smaller networks into the
larger network we collectively think of. The content made
accessible by the Internet is extremely diverse and is a reflection of
society itself. New methods of technology, content delivery, and
design trends ensure that Internet news is constantly changing.
Browse the headlines below to find relevant, up-to-date Internet news
for web programmers and designers, technology professionals, and the
general public alike.
- 1st of many federal broadband grants announced in Tennessee
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue announced on Friday the first of many federal investments targeting the creation of critical broadband internet infrastructure in underserved rural areas across the country. ...
Adrian Sainz. Washington Times. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:59:54 -0400.
- This gran picked up roadkill to create the perfect armchair
How Nanny Pat's homemade labour of love made her the internet's favourite grandmother.
BBC News. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 18:36:07 GMT.
- Lebanon sees violent protests after government announces Whatsapp tax
Violent protests have broken out across Lebanon after the government announced a new 20 cents per day tax on voice calls via internet in the midst of an economic crisis.
Daily Mail. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 16:24:48 +0100.
- FangDD Submits IPO Prospectus and is Poised to Become the First Publicly-Listed Industry Internet SaaS Company in China
SHENZHEN, China, Oct. 18, 2019 -- Shenzhen Fangdd Network Group Ltd. ("FangDD") has officially submitted its prospectus on Oct. ...
PR Newswire. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:21:00 +0000.
- Stymied but switched on: Bangladesh's online workforce
Bangladesh is now the second-largest supplier of online labour in the world, according to the Oxford Internet Institute.
Al Jazeera. Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:17:45 GMT.
- Watch Mark Zuckerberg's speech about 'voice and free expression' - CNET
The Facebook boss livestreamed his comments about "the challenges that more voice and the internet introduce," as well as global threats to free expression.
Sean Keane. CNET. Thu, 17 Oct 2019 18:06:00 +0000.
- Telecom Stock Roundup: AT&T to Divest Assets, Ericsson's Rural Support & More
While AT&T (T) intends to sell its wireless and wireline operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Ericsson (ERIC) is offering support services to rural Wireless Internet Service Providers across the United States.
Supriyo Bose. Zacks. Thu, 17 Oct 2019 14:12:00 GMT.
- How to watch Mark Zuckerberg's speech about 'voice and free expression' Thursday - CNET
The Facebook boss will livestream his comments about "the challenges that more voice and the internet introduce," as well as global threats to free expression.
Sean Keane. CNET. Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:35:00 +0000.
- Italy unveils new landmark tax on internet giants
Italy is to slap global tech giants like Google and Amazon with a three-percent charge under its new tax-focused budget.
The Local. Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:25:10 +0200.
- India's on a digital sprint that is leaving millions behind
For every urban Indian who has access to the internet, there is at least one rural Indian who does not.
BBC News. Thu, 17 Oct 2019 04:09:38 GMT.
- 'Very wrong': NBN boss slams critics of Australia's broadband speeds
National Broadband Network CEO Stephen Rue has hit out at claims Australia's internet service is slower and lags behind countries like Thailand and Paraguay.
Jennifer Duke. Sydney Morning Herald. Thu, 17 Oct 2019 00:00:00 +1100.
- Joe Biden's Son Hunter Stepping Down From Chinese board
Hunter Biden revealed his plan in an internet post written by his attorney.
Voice of America. Mon, 14 Oct 2019 07:54:46 -0400.
- Combination of techniques could improve security for IoT devices
A multi-pronged data analysis approach that can strengthen the security of Internet of Things (IoT) devices -- such as smart TVs, home video cameras and baby monitors -- against current risks and threats has been created.
Science Daily. Thu, 10 Oct 2019 16:48:38 EDT.
- Turkey's Internet Regulation Sparks Fears of New Censorship Wave
In Turkey, new controls regulating internet broadcasting have come into force. ...
Voice of America. Wed, 09 Oct 2019 05:52:38 -0400.
- Vodafone launches new network tech in UK to expand internet coverage
Vodafone has announced plans to test innovative open radio technology in the UK, which it said can help connect more rural communities to the internet.
Irish Independent. Mon, 07 Oct 2019 07:42:53 +0100.
- Impeachment And Your Retirement
The financial advice industry is known for having strong opinions. Politics is like that too. Especially these days. To be clear, this is NOT a political commentary. I direct you to a zillion other locations on the internet for that.
By Rob Isbitts, Contributor. Forbes. Sun, 6 Oct 2019 13:00:00 +0000.
- Improving worker safety in manufacturing with the internet of things (IoT)
A study reveals 83% of manufacturing leaders see increased productivity from safety programs. Improving worker safety with IoT in manufacturing is one of the best ways manufacturing companies can deal with safety concerns and risks.
ISHN. Fri, 04 Oct 2019 10:16:00 -0400.
- Online Travel Agencies Need To Reinvent Themselves To Fend Off Rising Costs And Google - Forbes
Online travel agencies (OTAs) are the original digital disruptors - first-generation internet businesses that identified an unmet customer need and created digital destinations that became the first stop for prospective travelers. ...
Travel Industry Wire. Thu, 3 Oct 2019 13:51:10 EST.
- Iraq imposes curfews and internet restrictions as protests intensify
Iraq attempts to gain control after anti-government unrest turns violent
ABC News. Thu, 03 Oct 2019 05:35:14 -0400.
- EU court: 'Active consent' required for cookie storage
BERLIN (AP) - The European Union's top court has ruled that website operators must secure internet users' "active consent" to their storage of so-called cookies. ...
Washington Times. Tue, 01 Oct 2019 07:27:28 -0400.