- The Conversation: 432 Indigenous deaths in custody in Australia since 1991, but no convictions
You probably know the details of the death of George Floyd. He was a doting father and musician. He was killed when a police officer, Derek Chauvin, knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes while he cried out "I can't ...
New Zealand Herald. Sun, 07 Jun 2020 10:02:30 +1200.
- Huge Crowds Around the Globe March in Solidarity Against Police Brutality
Tens of thousands turned out in Australia, Britain, France, Germany and other nations in support of U.S. protests against the death of George Floyd, while denouncing racism in their own countries.
Damien Cave, Livia Albeck-ripka and Iliana Magra. New York Times. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 18:50:04 +0000.
- Protests worldwide embrace 'Black Lives Matter' movement
Thousands took to the streets across Europe and Australia on Saturday, as did hundreds in Tokyo and Seoul, in support of days of U.S. protests against police brutality.
Reuters. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 12:25:05 -0400.
- Thousands protest Indigenous Australians' death in police custody
Protesters across Australia call for justice for Aboriginal Australians who have died at the hands of police.
Al Jazeera. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 15:47:58 GMT.
- Why so defensive? The Australian ego is fragile on the question of racism
Inquiries and expert reports keep telling us what to do about Indigenous disadvantage. We keep not doing it - and not listening to First Australians.
Jacqueline Maley. Sydney Morning Herald. Sun, 07 Jun 2020 00:00:00 +1000.
- George Floyd death: Australians defy virus in mass anti-racism rallies
Protesters march in support of George Floyd and indigenous Australians despite coronavirus warnings.
BBC News. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 11:10:20 GMT.
- Thousands Attend Australian Anti-Racism Protests
Black Lives Matter protests across Australia proceeded mostly peacefully as thousands of demonstrators in state capitals honored the memory of Floyd and protested the deaths of indigenous Australians in custody.
Voice of America. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 06:11:37 -0400.
- China Urges Citizens to Shun Australia as Virus Dispute Simmers
Appears to be Beijing's latest attempt to punish Australia for advocating an inquiry into coronavirus.
Voice of America. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 02:13:34 -0400.
- Indigenous deaths in custody: Why Australians are seizing on US protests
The US riots have focused Australian attention on alarming numbers of Aboriginal deaths in custody.
BBC News. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 15:15:33 GMT.
- George Floyd protests: New Zealand ministers say Trump is racist
'Today and every day we stand in solidarity with George Floyd's family, friends and community who feel pain and fear about his untimely death at the hands of Minneapolis police'
Samuel Osborne. The Independent. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 13:46:14 GMT.
- Planned Sydney Black Lives Matter protest banned by court
Australian authorities have won a legal fight to prevent a Black Lives Matter protest in Sydney which was due to take place on Saturday, following concerns around 10,000 people would attend during the coronavirus pandemic.
Sky News. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 12:37:00 +0100.
- Pregnant wife discovers her husband is cheating on her after finding his secret phone
An Australian woman has recalled the moment she caught her husband cheating on her while she was pregnant after finding his secret phone on their bedside table.
Daily Mail. Fri, 05 Jun 2020 03:05:53 +0100.
- Australia's ancient geology controls the pathways of modern earthquakes
New research near Uluru in Australia's arid center shows that rock structures formed deep within the ancient Gondwana supercontinent controlled the rupture pathways of one of Australia's largest modern earthquakes.
Science Daily. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 11:16:37 EDT.
- India, Australia sign defense, trade deals to bolster ties
India and Australia upgraded their relationship with a raft of agreements Thursday, including strengthening defense ties and cooperation in the Indo-Pacific maritime issues. ...
Yahoo. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 05:53:19 -0400.
- Asia Today: Australia to restart flights to New Zealand
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Canberra Airport opened a register for travelers interested in flying from the Australian capital to New Zealand on July 1 in a proposed resumption of international travel. ...
Washington Times. Wed, 03 Jun 2020 23:54:27 -0400.