- Oil near 1-month high on supply threats, easing demand woes
Brent oil prices held near one-month highs on Thursday supported by China's efforts to boost its economy, a drop in new coronavirus cases at the epicenter of the outbreak and supply concerns in Venezuela and Libya.
CNBC. Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:32:33 GMT.
- US imposes sanctions on Russian oil firm over Venezuela
US treasury blacklists subsidiary of Russian state oil major Rosneft that provides financial lifeline to Venezuela.
Al Jazeera. Wed, 19 Feb 2020 09:57:56 GMT.
- Venezuela crisis: US blacklists Russian oil firm for helping Maduro
The move freezes any US-held assets of Rosneft Trading SA, accused of supporting Venezuela's leader.
BBC News. Tue, 18 Feb 2020 19:18:19 GMT.
- US Sanctions Russian Oil Trading Firm for Role in Venezuela
The Trump administration is imposing sanctions on the trading unit of Russian state-controlled oil company Rosneft for helping Venezuela skirt an embargo on oil from the South American country.
Voice of America. Tue, 18 Feb 2020 12:20:00 -0500.
- Portugal: Airline Suspension by Venezuela is Unjustified
Venezuelan authorities took the step Monday after TAP last week carried opposition leader Juan Guaido and his uncle home from an international tour aimed at ousting President Nicolas Maduro.
Voice of America. Tue, 18 Feb 2020 08:03:37 -0500.
- Extinct giant turtle had horned shell of up to three meters
Paleobiologists have discovered exceptional specimens in Venezuela and Colombia of an extinct giant freshwater turtle called Stupendemys. ...
Science Daily. Wed, 12 Feb 2020 15:02:00 EST.
- Russia to boost Venezuela ties amid US pressure
Russia's foreign minister also condemns US sanctions targeting the Venezuelan government.
BBC News. Sat, 08 Feb 2020 00:31:57 GMT.
- Russia Sending Lavrov to Venezuela to Show Support
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov will visit Venezuela on Friday in a show of support for President Nicolas Maduro, a socialist who Washington wants out of power.
Newsmax. Tue, 04 Feb 2020 07:30:55 EDT.
- Venezuela crisis is 'comparative to Syria': Opposition leader Juan Guaido pleads for international support in Davos
Guaido's arrival in Davos comes exactly one year after the opposition leader declared himself to be Venezuela's rightful interim president.
CNBC. Thu, 23 Jan 2020 19:56:41 GMT.
- Venezuela has 'world's highest murder rate'
A non-government organisation says many of the murders in the South American country are extrajudicial killings by police.
Al Jazeera. Thu, 23 Jan 2020 13:55:43 GMT.
- Chevron's Venezuela Operations Get Another 90-Day Waiver
Had there been no waiver extensions, Chevron's (CVX) exit would follow close on the heels of various other U.S.-based players that left Venezuela.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Mon, 20 Jan 2020 13:22:00 GMT.
- Trump administration gives five energy companies another three months in Venezuela
Trump administration officials have given five energy companies with strong ties to Houston another three months in the oil fields of the troubled South American nation of Venezuela.
Sergio Chapa, Houston Chronicle. Houston Chronicle. Sat, 18 Jan 2020 20:00:00 UTC.
- US sanctions Venezuelan lawmakers ahead of day of protests
There are calls for the U.S. to do more in Venezuela, especially to stop Russia's support.
ABC News. Mon, 13 Jan 2020 19:57:43 -0500.
- Reuters: Russia says election of new parliament leader in Venezuela was democratic
Russian Foreign Ministry said on Jan. 6 the election of a new parliament leader in Venezuela was a result of a democratic procedure. Read more here. ...
Anastasia Shepeleva. Kyiv Post. Mon, 06 Jan 2020 15:17:47 +0000.
- Major GOP Donor May Have Broken Venezuela Sanctions: AP
Erik Prince, a major Republican donor and founder of controversial security firm Blackwater, has been referred to the U.S. ...
Newsmax. Mon, 30 Dec 2019 15:11:18 EDT.
- Washington Post: How Giuliani got involved in back-channel talks with Maduro
The international call came in September 2018, after months of rising tension between the United States and Venezuela, a key strategic player in South America. Read more here. ...
Helen Mukhina. Kyiv Post. Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:23:19 +0000.
- Venezuela's Christmas lights glow after a dark year
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - After a tumultuous year in Venezuela with unprecedented blackouts, the country's government has put up brilliant displays of Christmas lights, trying to spread a little holiday cheer. ...
Scott Smith. Washington Times. Fri, 20 Dec 2019 14:11:18 -0500.
- US oil executives jailed in Venezuela given house arrest
MIAMI (AP) - Six American oil executives held in an overcrowded Venezuelan prison for two years on corruption charges were granted house arrest Monday. ...
Joshua Goodman. Washington Times. Tue, 10 Dec 2019 00:03:53 -0500.
- A 'good amount' of Venezuela's millions of fleeing migrants won't ever return, UN envoy says
The Venezuela migration crisis has now entered a new stage in which many of those fleeing their country's devastating economic downturn and political turmoil are increasingly unlikely to return, a United Nations special envoy said.
CBC News. Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:54:32 EST.
- Venezuelan mayor seizes Baker Hughes office for "not paying local taxes"
A mayor in Venezuela temporarily seized an office belonging to Houston oilfield service company Baker Hughes alleging that the company "chronically failed to pay municipal taxes."
Sergio Chapa, Houston Chronicle. Houston Chronicle. Fri, 8 Nov 2019 21:48:59 UTC.