- Deny and defy: Bolsonaro's approach to the coronavirus in Brazil
President Jair Bolsonaro's 'economy first' plan costs the president politically and puts lives at risk, analysts say.
Al Jazeera. Mon, 30 Mar 2020 20:13:30 GMT.
- Twitter pulls down two coronavirus tweets from Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro - CNET
The tweets reportedly included videos showing Bolsonaro questioning social distancing.
Queenie Wong. CNET. Mon, 30 Mar 2020 19:22:00 +0000.
- Colombia will transfer than 10,000 prisoners to house arrest to control coronavirus spread
Colombia's prison system will be grant temporary release to 10,850 inmates, including detainees that are over the age of 60 and pregnant women to control the spread of coronavirus.
Daily Mail. Mon, 30 Mar 2020 19:08:45 GMT.
- International Paper to Divest Brazilian Packaging Business
International Paper's (IP) latest divestiture move is in line with its previously-announced strategic review of the packaging business in Brazil.
Zacks Equity Research. Zacks. Mon, 30 Mar 2020 14:36:00 GMT.
- Colombia's ELN rebels call ceasefire over coronavirus
The ELN rebel group said it would lay down arms from 1 April for a month as a "humanitarian gesture".
BBC News. Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:30:30 GMT.
- International Paper Reaches Agreement to Sell Its Brazilian Corrugated Packaging Business
MEMPHIS, Tenn., March 29, 2020 -- International Paper (NYSE: IP) has entered into an agreement to sell its Brazilian corrugated packaging business to Klabin S.A. ...
PR Newswire. Mon, 30 Mar 2020 00:00:00 +0000.
- Coronavirus: Brazil's Bolsonaro in denial and out on a limb
The president is isolating himself from other world leaders as he downplays the coronavirus pandemic.
BBC News. Sun, 29 Mar 2020 11:37:57 GMT.
- Brazil's Bolsonaro Questions Virus Deaths: 'Sorry, Some Will Die'
Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro on Friday cast doubt on Sao Paulo's death toll from the coronavirus outbreak and accused the state governor of manipulating the numbers for political ends, without giving evidence for his claims. ...
Newsmax. Sat, 28 Mar 2020 18:33:05 EDT.
- 'They haven't listened': Medical professionals skipped quarantine and flew interstate
Thirty-three medicos who landed at Sydney Airport from South America on Friday night disobeyed police orders to go into quarantine.
Caitlin Fitzsimmons. Sydney Morning Herald. Sat, 28 Mar 2020 20:02:29 +1100.
- Jim Gaffigan says he rushed home from South America as borders closed amid coronavirus pandemic
Jim Gaffigan almost didn't make it home to the United States as the coronavirus pandemic swiftly took force and prompted borders to close while he was touring in South America.
Melissa Roberto. Fox News. Fri, 27 Mar 2020 14:33:30 GMT.
- A defiant Maduro threatens 'cowboy' Trump after drug charge
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro is warning Washington that he is ready to fight by whatever means necessary now that the U.S. has indicted the socialist leader and offered $15 million for his arrest.
CBC News. Fri, 27 Mar 2020 05:41:49 EDT.
- New feathered dinosaur was one of the last surviving raptors
Dineobellator notohesperus lived 67 million years ago.
Science Daily. Thu, 26 Mar 2020 12:41:27 EDT.
- FROM THE FIELD: Threatened Brazilian activist fights for slavery descendants' rights
A Brazilian activist who regularly receives threats of violence says he will continue fighting for the right of people of African descent to access land and property in the city of Rio de Janeiro.
UN News Centre. Thu, 26 Mar 2020 11:34:41 -0400.
- Brazil Transforms Sports Venues into Field Hospitals for Coronavirus
Brazil has more than 2,400 confirmed cases of coronavirus.
Voice of America. Thu, 26 Mar 2020 04:12:43 -0400.
- ASUR Provides Update on COVID-19
Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste, S.A.B. de C.V. (NYSE: ASR; BMV: ASUR) ASUR an international airport group with operations in Mexico, the U.S. and Colombia, today provided an update on COVID-19 and impact on its operations.
Travel Industry Wire. Tue, 24 Mar 2020 13:49:28 EST.
- Save For Six International Players, The Rockies Were Able To Get Their Minor Leaguers Home Quickly From Spring Training
Five players from Venezuela, unable to enter their country, and one from Panama remain in Scottsdale, Ariz.
By Jack Etkin, Contributor. Forbes. Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:20:00 +0000.
- US tourists stranded abroad desperate to secure return amid coronavirus outbreak
One couple said they were only given about 24 hours' notice to leave Peru but couldn't find a flight.
Ap. ABC News. Sun, 22 Mar 2020 14:59:33 +0000.
- Citing pandemic, judge agrees to free ex-Peru leader on bail
LIMA, Peru (AP) - The coronavirus pandemic has provided a silver lining for a former Peruvian president who has been in U.S. custody while he fights extradition back home to face trial on corruption charges. A U.S. ...
Washington Times. Thu, 19 Mar 2020 19:54:31 -0400.
- Peru Bans Private Vehicles in Bid to Slow Virus
A new curfew, which began Wednesday at 8 p.m. local time, bans the use of private cars until 5 a.m.
Voice of America. Thu, 19 Mar 2020 05:51:45 -0400.
- No Need To Test Trump For Coronavirus, White House Doctor Says
President Trump indicated he might be tested after a Brazilian official he had contact with was diagnosed with the virus. But Dr. Sean Conley says Trump has no symptoms, so testing "is not indicated."
David Welna. NPR. Fri, 13 Mar 2020 20:07:34 -0400.