- Discovering Colombia's rare flora and fauna
An expedition of top UK botanists into previously unexplored rainforest in Colombia found rare species.
BBC News. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 23:29:01 GMT.
- Coronavirus: Brazil's domestic workers cut adrift in pandemic
The coronavirus outbreak has left millions of poorer workers out of work and unable to earn a living.
BBC News. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 23:12:47 GMT.
- Amazon Deforestation Soars as Pandemic Hobbles Enforcement
A rise in illegal deforestation heightens the risk of fires in the Brazilian rainforest even more destructive than those that drew global outrage last year.
Ernesto Londoño, Manuela Andreoni and Letícia Casado. New York Times. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 17:15:38 +0000.
- Bolsonaro defends later, partial release of Brazil COVID-19 data
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Saturday defended his government's move to partially withhold official data on the scale of the world's second-largest coronavirus outbreak.
Reuters. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 12:03:02 -0400.
- Chile's poor call for protection from pandemic-fuelled crime wave
Chile is ranked the safest country in South America, but the rise in unemployment due to the pandemic has also led to a rise in crime.
Al Jazeera. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 13:10:08 GMT.
- One death every minute: Brazil's Covid -19 toll surpasses Italy
With its overall Covid-19 death toll exceeding 34,000 people, Brazil is now the country with the third highest number of deaths in the world, surpassing Italy.Brazil is widely regarded to be the current global epicentre of the ...
New Zealand Herald. Sat, 06 Jun 2020 21:17:52 +1200.
- Prehistoric Great White Shark Nursery Discovered in Chile
Young sharks grew up here millions of years ago, scientists say
Smithsonian. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 17:04:49 +0000.
- Coronavirus: Paraguay politician rips off shirt in bridge speech
Jorge Antonio Britez, from Paraguay's border city Ciudad del Este, was talking about the opening of the La Amistad border bridge with Brazil.
Daily Mail. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 16:28:15 GMT.
- Iron-Ore Prices Surge on Impending Demand-Supply Imbalance
Iron-ore prices are riding high on increased demand from China and fears of supply disruption as coronavirus cases spike in Brazil.
Madhurima Das. Zacks. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 14:23:00 GMT.
- Brazil Is Back To Being A China Story
As China recovers, Brazil will benefit from demand for everything the country plants and pulls out of the ground.
By Kenneth Rapoza, Senior Contributor. Forbes. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 07:00:00 -0400.
- Brazil, Mexico suffer record daily rise in coronavirus deaths
Brazil and Mexico suffered a record rise in daily coronavirus deaths amid fears Latin America is reopening too soon. ...
Yahoo. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 06:35:04 -0400.
- Chile Records Largest Single-Day COVID-19 Death Total Since Outbreak Began
Chile coronavirus deaths surge; country has one of the highest caseloads in region.
Voice of America. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 04:35:13 -0400.
- Ex-Ecuadorian President Jailed in Corruption Case Linked to COVID-19 Pandemic
Officials say raid part of investigation into suspected embezzlement at hospital.
Voice of America. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 03:09:31 -0400.
- All-time high daily coronavirus death toll registered in Brazil
A total of 1,349 deaths was reported in Brazil in the past 24 hours
Tass. Thu, 04 Jun 2020 08:31:34 +0300.
- Blood markers predict Humboldt penguin nest type, reproductive success
Researchers looked at metabolic markers in the blood of 30 Humboldt penguins nesting in the Punta San Juan Marine Protected Area in Peru. ...
Science Daily. Tue, 02 Jun 2020 12:26:06 EDT.
- Venezuelan President Says He Will Visit Iran To Sign Energy Agreements
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro says he will visit Iran shortly to sign cooperation agreements in energy and other sectors after Iran sent five fuel tankers to the South American country.
Radio Liberty. Tue, 02 Jun 2020 06:44:35 +0000.
- Bolsonaro's Trump-like theatre ignores the coronavirus crisis gripping Brazil
A posse of mule-riding cowboys and cowgirls, Brazilian flags aloft, trot along the vast parks that are the centre of Brasilia, the country's capital.
Sky News. Sun, 31 May 2020 21:48:00 +0100.
- Brazil's Bolsonaro joined Trump in downplaying COVID-19, but now faces US travel ban
Trump and Brazil's Bolsonaro both downplayed the coronavirus pandemic. Now Brazil faces a US travel ban as it overtakes the U.S. with the highest daily death count.
ABC News. Tue, 26 May 2020 16:27:25 -0400.
- Brothers allowed black widow to sting them believing they'd turn into Spider-Man: report
Three young Bolivian boy were hospitalized earlier this month when they were stung by a Black Widow spider while tending goats in a small Bolivian village, a report Monday said.
Jack Durschlag. Fox News. Tue, 26 May 2020 06:29:18 GMT.
- Latam Airlines seeks bankruptcy protection as travel slumps
BANGKOK (AP) — Latam Airlines, South America’s biggest carrier, sought U.S. bankruptcy protection Tuesday as it grapples with a sharp downturn in air travel sparked by the coronavirus pandemic. ...
Adam Schreck. Washington Times. Tue, 26 May 2020 01:26:25 -0400.